3 Things You Need to Know About Buying Digital Audio
The road to making smarter media buying decisions starts with understanding your audience. And even more important, is knowing the difference between an addressable and non-addressable audience.
Understanding Addressable Audiences: Pandora vs. Spotify
Both Pandora and Spotify have addressable portions of their U.S. audience, but their business models are very different:
- Spotify uses a freemium model that’s engineered to funnel free, ad-supported listeners into paid subscribers. These subscribers do not receive advertisements because they pay for an ad-free listening experience.
- Pandora’s core business is a free, ad-supported service. While Pandora offers a paid subscription option, the vast majority (95%) of its listeners use the free, ad-supported version. These listeners are addressable by advertisers.
Addressable Millennials Spend 2.3x More Time With Pandora
The latest Share of Ear (Q1, 2016) shows that addressable U.S. Millennials spend 2.3x more time streaming on Pandora than Spotify.
How to Make a Smarter and More Effective Digital Audio Media Plan:
1. Examine the numbers: The headline doesn’t always tell the whole story. Dig into the numbers so you can intelligently compare your investment options side-by-side.
2. Ask for addressable audience metrics in your RFP: Request that your campaign reach and frequency goals measure against accurate U.S. addressable numbers.
3. Get more data: Your Pandora sales representative can provide you with additional Edison addressable data based on age, gender and ethnicity. Just ask!