A 3-Minute Breakdown: The Gen Z Traveler
A Generation of Adventurers
Summer travel season is here (finally). You’ve been carefully saving up, hoarding PTO, and reviewing your must-visit list. But, who is actually deciding where you go this summer? Hint: it’s not you.
Young-yet-powerful, Gen Z represents ¼ of the population and is proving to be one of the most influential generations today, especially when it comes to travel. They command a whopping $143 billion in spending power in the U.S. alone.1 Born into the era of social media, the world seems much smaller and exotic destinations more accessible. Channels like Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, etc. have put travel in the forefront—making Gen Zers a group of explorers who value experiences.
For marketers in the travel industry, this means moving your focus from the obvious money-makers, to the chief household influencers. When planning vacations, parents and grandparents aren’t necessarily crossing off items from their own bucket lists, but from their kids’. But more importantly, it won’t be long before Gen Zers enter the workforce themselves—and as their disposable income increases, so will their travel spending power.
According to a recent Pandora user study, our listeners start planning their trips six months in advance, which means you need to start building your relationship with them now.
A Winning Combination to Reach the Gen Z Traveler
Pandora + SoundCloud together is the top music streaming destination among the Gen Z’er, helping them to discover the latest and greatest in today’s new artists and music.
- 8 in 10 Pandora listeners consider music to be a part of their overall travel adventure2
- SoundCloud listeners vacation more, and more often3
- Over 70% of Pandora listeners say that hearing/seeing an ad on Pandora would impact their vacation planning in some way4
Combining this with our 90% addressable audience, Pandora + SoundCloud is the best way to reach influential Gen Z at scale. And if you play it right, you can inspire lifelong customer loyalty. Get started today.
- Travel Agent Central, Stats: Gen Z Spends Up to $750 Per Trip on Travel
- Pandora Internal Soundboard Study, July 2018, A18+ Q: Would you consider music as part of your overall
- GlobalWebIndex (GWI) 3Q 2018 - US
- Pandora Soundboard, Travel & Tourism Study, May 2019, A18+ (N=1,640)